Clara is struggling with the physical and emotional changes that happens during puberty.

“ My Mum really annoys me sometimes.. It is like I’m a kid one minute and a teenager the next, I don’t know if she has changed or if I am getting angry at things that didn’t used to bother me.

When I get annoyed with her  she will ask what she has done and actually I don’t know because there isn’t a reason, I am just angry.

I started my periods a few months ago and 10 days a month my face is really blotchy, so I tried to cover it with makeup and it just made it worse. I don’t want to talk about it with mum. 

I don’t like my body I have wide hips but no waist, and I just want to know what is going on with me and talk about that sort of stuff  but I am unsure who I can talk to.”

How Clara can get help

Like Clara everyone experiences the complex and confusing changes that happen during puberty. Some people are comfortable speaking to parents, Family, Friends, and older siblings but not everyone is. It is tempting to listen to stories on social media and although the information may be accurate it is best to ensure your information is coming from a professional. You will have a school nurse you can speak to, or a teacher that you feel comfortable speaking to also. There are other places to seek advice and information.

Do you need help?

  • Humberside Police

    Humberside Police – If you have concerns about someone’s wellbeing, please report to the police on 101 or dial 999 if it’s an emergency.

  • ceop

    CEOP – If you’re worried about online abuse or the way someone has been communicating online, if you have been a victim or are worried this is happening to someone you know, this can be reported safely and securely to CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection) through their experienced Child Protection Advisors.

  • Crimestoppers

    Crimestoppers – reports can be made anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

  • Childline

    Childline – if you have any worries about a child or young person. Call free on 0800 1111, or have a 1-2-1 chat online or send an email via their website at any time of the day or night.

  • NSPCC - 24/7

    NSPCC – 24/7 line for for adults and young people to express concerns they may have in relation to child sexual exploitation (CSE), 0800 389 1701
    NSPCC – 24/7 adult helpline covering all child protection issues, 0808 800 5000

  • – Fearless is a site where you can access non-judgemental information and advice about crime and criminality. What makes this site different is we also provide you with a safe place to give information to us about crime – 100% anonymously.

Or she can speak to a trusted adult such as a parent, grandparent, teacher, youth or social worker who can use this website to figure out how best to get help in this very dangerous situation.