A story about addiction

“Everyone drinks, don’t they? At home mum would crack a bottle open after work. Mum let me drink too because she said it was normal and it’s about being sensible. 

A few times I got really drunk with my mates and I liked it. I could talk to girls and didn’t feel awkward, so I started having a beer before going out with my mates. Sometimes the thought of college stresses me out and I have a can on the way to college. It makes the day so much easier.

My mate said she could smell it on my breath and asked me if I had a problem with alcohol. It got me thinking the thought of not having a drink at a party makes me feel anxious and like a don’t want to go. Who can I talk to about this?”

How Jaden can get help

If you find yourself wanting to drink or take drugs to get through the day or do not want to go out with your friends without alcohol, cannabis, or other substances, you may be worried that you have a problem. There are services and people out there who can help you.



Do you need help?

  • Humberside Police

    Humberside Police – If you have concerns about someone’s wellbeing, please report to the police on 101 or dial 999 if it’s an emergency.

  • ceop

    CEOP – If you’re worried about online abuse or the way someone has been communicating online, if you have been a victim or are worried this is happening to someone you know, this can be reported safely and securely to CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection) through their experienced Child Protection Advisors.

  • Crimestoppers

    Crimestoppers – reports can be made anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

  • Childline

    Childline – if you have any worries about a child or young person. Call free on 0800 1111, or have a 1-2-1 chat online or send an email via their website at www.childline.org.uk any time of the day or night.

  • NSPCC - 24/7

    NSPCC – 24/7 line for for adults and young people to express concerns they may have in relation to child sexual exploitation (CSE), 0800 389 1701
    NSPCC – 24/7 adult helpline covering all child protection issues, 0808 800 5000

  • Fearless.org

    Fearless.org – Fearless is a site where you can access non-judgemental information and advice about crime and criminality. What makes this site different is we also provide you with a safe place to give information to us about crime – 100% anonymously.

Or she can speak to a trusted adult such as a parent, grandparent, teacher, youth or social worker who can use this website to figure out how best to get help in this very dangerous situation.