A story about teenage homelessness and where to get help.

“I live with my mum and stepdad, well mum’s boyfriend. I argue a lot with my stepdad. I get annoyed because he is not my real dad, and he was always telling me what to do.

I had a huge row with him the other week and I got angry at mum as she took his side. I know sometimes it is my fault, but this time it wasn’t my fault- he said I took his jeans to wear for a party which I didn’t. Usually, it is just stuff like me not doing homework he starts shouting at me about, but this time he was calling me a thief and I got mad at mum for not believing me. I went to a friend’s house to cool off and when I returned my bags were packed and I was told to find somewhere else to live. I’m embarrassed I can’t tell my mates I’m homeless, I don’t know who to ask for help?”

How Jo can get help

If you find yourself in a situation similar to Jo’s there are people and organisations you can speak to. Your teachers will be able to help you if you are still at school or college. 


If you are in Grimsby Doorstep is an organisation that can help you


Do you need help?

  • Humberside Police

    Humberside Police – If you have concerns about someone’s wellbeing, please report to the police on 101 or dial 999 if it’s an emergency.

  • ceop

    CEOP – If you’re worried about online abuse or the way someone has been communicating online, if you have been a victim or are worried this is happening to someone you know, this can be reported safely and securely to CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection) through their experienced Child Protection Advisors.

  • Crimestoppers

    Crimestoppers – reports can be made anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

  • Childline

    Childline – if you have any worries about a child or young person. Call free on 0800 1111, or have a 1-2-1 chat online or send an email via their website at www.childline.org.uk any time of the day or night.

  • NSPCC - 24/7

    NSPCC – 24/7 line for for adults and young people to express concerns they may have in relation to child sexual exploitation (CSE), 0800 389 1701
    NSPCC – 24/7 adult helpline covering all child protection issues, 0808 800 5000

  • Fearless.org

    Fearless.org – Fearless is a site where you can access non-judgemental information and advice about crime and criminality. What makes this site different is we also provide you with a safe place to give information to us about crime – 100% anonymously.

Or she can speak to a trusted adult such as a parent, grandparent, teacher, youth or social worker who can use this website to figure out how best to get help in this very dangerous situation.