A story about mental health issues

On the outside Mia appears happy and confident but on the inside she is struggling with food issues, intrusive thoughts and anxiety. Mental health issues can happen to anyone.

“I like to dress differently, sometimes I will wear a 50s dress and other times jeans, hoody, and docs. It’s just me. I want to be an actress and singer. I got a main role in the school musical last year. I loved it and made a lot of new friends I do get on well with most people and have different circles of friends, I guess I am always happy and smiling. 

I am always smiling anyway.

I don’t usually get upset about things, but I don’t like the thought of eating meat, so I am vegan. Except for Haribo’s and marshmallows in a hot chocolate – apart from that I’m mostly vegan. 

I think about the animals, and bad stuff like bad stuff that you see on TV and when I am in bed all kinds of horrible thoughts rush through my mind. These intrusive thoughts are getting worse, and I lay in bed and my heart starts beating really fast, I get hot, and the palpitations are so bad I think you could actually hear them.

I want to talk to someone, but I don’t want to bother anyone because some people have much bigger problems. Is there somewhere I could talk about these things?”

How Mia can get help

Most people at some point in their lives experiences mental health issues. If like Mia you are experiences difficulties with mental health you could speak to your teacher or school nurse. You can also arrange to speak to your doctor who may refer you for counselling – If that is something you want to do. 





Do you need help?

  • Humberside Police

    Humberside Police – If you have concerns about someone’s wellbeing, please report to the police on 101 or dial 999 if it’s an emergency.

  • ceop

    CEOP – If you’re worried about online abuse or the way someone has been communicating online, if you have been a victim or are worried this is happening to someone you know, this can be reported safely and securely to CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection) through their experienced Child Protection Advisors.

  • Crimestoppers

    Crimestoppers – reports can be made anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

  • Childline

    Childline – if you have any worries about a child or young person. Call free on 0800 1111, or have a 1-2-1 chat online or send an email via their website at www.childline.org.uk any time of the day or night.

  • NSPCC - 24/7

    NSPCC – 24/7 line for for adults and young people to express concerns they may have in relation to child sexual exploitation (CSE), 0800 389 1701
    NSPCC – 24/7 adult helpline covering all child protection issues, 0808 800 5000

  • Fearless.org

    Fearless.org – Fearless is a site where you can access non-judgemental information and advice about crime and criminality. What makes this site different is we also provide you with a safe place to give information to us about crime – 100% anonymously.

Or she can speak to a trusted adult such as a parent, grandparent, teacher, youth or social worker who can use this website to figure out how best to get help in this very dangerous situation.