A story about leaving the care system and what happens next.

“I went into care when I was in year seven. First, it was a care home and then a foster home. I was really settled and happy in my last foster home, a few months ago but I got moved again, and I am now back in a care home. It is really lonely. I have lots of mates, but I don’t feel like I properly fit in. people don’t get it, dealing with social workers and all that. I am 16 now and so I can live on my own, I just don’t know how? How do I pay bills? Who helps me get a flat and get set up? Will the social workers just forget about me once I am in my own place? I don’t know where to go for help.”

How Sinead can get help

Leaving home can be worrying for many people but if like Sinead you have been in foster care then it may bring extra worry. Your Social workers are there to continue supporting you and will be able to advise you best on what to do next. In addition, there are some additional places you can get support and advice. 


Do you need help?

  • Humberside Police

    Humberside Police – If you have concerns about someone’s wellbeing, please report to the police on 101 or dial 999 if it’s an emergency.

  • ceop

    CEOP – If you’re worried about online abuse or the way someone has been communicating online, if you have been a victim or are worried this is happening to someone you know, this can be reported safely and securely to CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection) through their experienced Child Protection Advisors.

  • Crimestoppers

    Crimestoppers – reports can be made anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

  • Childline

    Childline – if you have any worries about a child or young person. Call free on 0800 1111, or have a 1-2-1 chat online or send an email via their website at www.childline.org.uk any time of the day or night.

  • NSPCC - 24/7

    NSPCC – 24/7 line for for adults and young people to express concerns they may have in relation to child sexual exploitation (CSE), 0800 389 1701
    NSPCC – 24/7 adult helpline covering all child protection issues, 0808 800 5000

  • Fearless.org

    Fearless.org – Fearless is a site where you can access non-judgemental information and advice about crime and criminality. What makes this site different is we also provide you with a safe place to give information to us about crime – 100% anonymously.

Or she can speak to a trusted adult such as a parent, grandparent, teacher, youth or social worker who can use this website to figure out how best to get help in this very dangerous situation.